Translation Memory (TM) is a tool that increases efficiency by allowing the reuse of previously translated phrases and terms. It is a technology that enables us to store translated phrases and sentences in a special database for translators to reuse in a new translation. This tool is most suitable for technical documentation.
Translation Memory Tools
At Argos Multilingual, we maintain TM databases with translated words and phrases collected from your company’s translation projects that can be reused for your future projects. TM databases save you both time and money. Translation Memory allows us to maintain a consistent standard of quality throughout a translation project while lowering the costs and time required to complete each project. In the end, we pass these benefits over to you.
With the use of Translation Memory tools we are able to estimate the size of the translation and number of internal repetitions. Based on that we can plan the translation project framework.
Depending on the type of project, we will choose from the following TM tools:
Translation Memory Server
In order to allow multiple translators to work on a single large assignment, or a single portion of a translation project, we utilize Translation Memory servers. Via TM servers, translators can complete large portions of a translation project simultaneously, improving consistency of the translation, speeding up the translation process while at the same time maintaining accuracy.
Benefits of Using Translation Memory
By using Translation Memories you can be assured that a high level of consistency is maintained throughout the project and operating costs are lowered, meaning lower translation prices. At Argos Multilingual we keep a unique Translation Memory (TM) database for each client and only uses the given database for that individual client’s projects. The greater the number of projects we complete for a client, the larger the database, which in turn leads to lowered costs.
Translation Memory Consultancy
- Training in the use of SDLX and other SDL applications (HelpQA, HtmlQA, SDLTermbase, Toolproof, SDLInsight)
- Localization engineering services
Creating a Translation Memory Database
- Our client has version 1 of a software application in English.
- We translate the software into Polish: Our translators create a Translation Memory database for this translation: terms in English with their Polish equivalents. Note that we can also create a TM database based on documents translated previously by other translation companies. This process is called Alignment, and involves matching previously created translations.
- A new release of the software in English becomes available (version 2) that must also be translated into Polish. We are asked to translate the update. Many terms and sentences from the first version of the software will probably be repeated in version 2.
- Having a Translation Memory database based on the version 1 of the software, our TM specialist uses this database to analyze the new document (version 2) to find all the terms that were already translated in version and are repeated in the new version of the software. The TM database is applied to the new version and the translator now only has to translate the outstanding text. The entire text is then of course edited and proofread by our linguists. The client, therefore, does not pay the full price for the phrases that were previously translated.